I write about movies for my own personal amusement.

December 7, 2011

Movie Review- Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

I don't know why a lot of people didn't like this movie. Personally, I thought this was just as good as 'The Holy Grail', but that's just me. I love the darker tone that this movie took, the grimness works quite well with the usual Monty Python shtick. And there's very little narrative to the film, which makes it come across as a really long episode of the TV show. The humor has a wide range, which I normally don't like in movies, but seeing as this is more of an anthology movie, it works quite well. The humor ranges from philosophical moments, to gross-out humor, to the usual absurdity that the troupe is so well-known for. The musical numbers are quite funny, too, particularly the opening song lampooning Catholicism. The cinematography is mildly interesting at times, and the animated skits by Terry Gilliam are as wonderfully animated as they are strange. My only complaint is that the opening skit, which is about pirate insurance salesman, makes absolutely no sense give the nature of the rest of the movie, and seems to be there solely to play into a brief joke later on in the film. Not exactly a gut-bustingly funny movie, but it'll keep you smiling the whole time. Very enjoyable, and highly recommended. 5/5

IMDB Page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085959/

No comments:

Post a Comment