I write about movies for my own personal amusement.

December 6, 2015

Movie Review- Punisher: War Zone

Punisher: War Zone is one of the few comic book movies to ever do justice to the source material. The movie is campy and overly violent, but in doing so is largely faithful to the spirit of the comics. I have not seen the previous two standalone Punisher films, so I can't speak to their quality, but with the bar set by War Zone, I can't imagine they are very good in comparison.

I feel like superhero movies these days all look the same. Punisher has the benefit of a unique visual style. It looks as gritty as a digital film can possibly look, and the lighting is colorful and stylized. Often the lighting opts for a single color to fill the scene, a look I do not enjoy, but I still appreciate the unique visuals put forth.

In addition to a stylized production design, the movie is filled with extremely stylized action scenes and violence. The biggest criticism I have seen lobbed against War Zone is the excessive violence. I can't deny that the film is extremely violent, nauseatingly so at times. But the action scenes are a cut above the typical superhero fight scene. The opening scene in which the Punisher hangs upside down from a chandelier and unleashes an assault on a mafia dinner party is a particular treat.

The movie is very to-the-point with what it offers. If you are interested in seeing a relatively faithful adaptation of the Punisher comics or enjoy violent action movies, this is worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment